Representatives of MCI occupy many prominent positions within industry associations,something which has enabled us to share our sustainability vision and beliefs with a much wider audience that has contributed to education and furthering best practices within the industry.
Being at the forefront of the latest industry developments and sustainability trends, MCI is able to play an active role in encouraging our clients, partners, suppliers, competitors and governments to commit to adopting a higher standard of sustainable business practice within our industry.
- Since 2008, MCI leaders have delivered over 150 keynote sessions and workshops on sustainability, inspiring change and better business practices to over 20,000 people in the meetings industry. In 2012 we reduced our speaking engagements to focus on internal engagement and client projects.
- MCI is an organisational stakeholder of the Global Reporting Initiative.
- Our Group Sustainability Director, Guy Bigwood, was the Past-President of the Green Meeting Industry Council (GMIC). Two MCI Managers Sandrine Castres (MCI Barcelona) and Huguette Andreoli (MCI Amsterdam) held board positions and helped to develop GMIC chapters in Holland and Spain.
- Our business leaders have co-created and engaged with some of the most important sustainability initiatives in the meetings industry. They were involved in the development and launch of industry frameworks and standards including ISO20121, the GRI Event Organisers Sector Supplement and the APEX/ASTM Environmentally Sustainability Standards.
- MCI experts assisted in the development of various learning resources and guides; including for the GMIC, United Nations Sustainable Events Guide, TED and The Natural Step.
- Our opinions and experiences implementing sustainability are published on our ‘Less Conversation, More Action’ sustainability blog, which attracted 13,815 visits in 2012.
- MCI became a core partner of the IMEX-MPI-MCI Future Leaders Forum, a programme developed to encourage the best and brightest students to develop successful careers in the meetings industry.
Engaging Cities to Lead Change
As a trusted advisor to the ICCA (International Congress and Conventions Association) Scandinavian Chapter, MCI co-sponsored and conducted a unique benchmarking study to compare and analyse the sustainability performance of 20 cities across the five Nordic countries of Iceland, Sweden, Finland, Denmark and Norway.
The Index employs 16 performance indicators to measure and benchmark the cities:
- Hardware: the sustainability commitment of the municipality and the sustainability performance of the infrastructure (carbon emissions, recycling, renewable energy etc.).
- Software: the sustainability commitment and performance of the local meetings industry (i.e. number of certified hotels, support of Convention Bureau).
Key highlights from the 2013 Index:
- 7% overall improvement across region.
- Growth from 16 to 20 cities included in the Index.
- A significant 12% improvement in the “software” performance of the region. This means that there is a greater development of sustainability strategy, communication, certification and engagement.
- 47% of CVBs now have a publicly available sustainability policy.
- 74% of CVBs now have information on their websites about the sustainability of their destination.