From a small enterprise in 1987 with 1 office in Geneva, 4 employees and 7 events per year we’ve grown to a large business in 2012 of 48 offices in 23 countries and 1298 employees delivering over 3500 projects for corporations, associations and governments across the world.
Our sustainability journey began in 2006 when we organised the European Growth Summit in Barcelona. For the event we invited Al Gore as the keynote speaker. Still relatively unknown for his environmental work, ex Vice-President Gore shared his view for an “inconvenient truth” referring to the current state of the planet and future climate change.
The MCI board were present at this meeting and afterwards decided that MCI needed to develop and launch a comprehensive CSR strategy. As a basis for our first steps towards sustainability, MCI signed a commitment to integrate the ten principles of the Global Compact into our strategic approach and operations. From then, we have not stopped learning, improving and innovating:
- In 2006 MCI signed the UN Global Compact and made a public commitment to growing our business in the most responsible manner.
- In 2007 Guy Bigwood, MCI Barcelona Managing Director became our Group Sustainability Director and launched our CSR Champion programme.
- In 2008 we launched MCI Sustainability Services – our dedicated consulting practice.
- In 2009 we supported the Danish Government to implement and achieve BS8901 Certification for the UN Climate Change Conference, COP 15 in Copenhagen.
- In 2010 we won three awards for sustainability and became the event management partner for the UN Global Compact Leaders’ Summit, the Global Reporting Initiative Conference and 16 other summits on sustainability.
- In 2011 we became an Organisational Stakeholder of the Global Reporting Initiative and released the Event Sustainability and Safety Tool to evaluate all of our events.
- In 2012 we hired Roger Simons to be the Asian Sustainability Manager and launched our Sustainability Scorecard programme to benchmark performance across all our offices. We organised over 153 events on sustainability and energy. 76% of our events were assessed for sustainability and safety risks. We won the IMEX-GMIC Award for organising the first sustainable EU Presidency
Our Performance section provides more detail on our year upon year improvement and progress against our goals.
Looking forward towards the vision of 2015, we aspire for 100 events including all of MCI’s internal events to be certified in accordance with the ISO20121 Event Sustainability Management standard and for 1% of each talent’s time globally to be donated to CSR projects.